Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues

The biggest entertainer since Milo Hatzenbueler is coming to the Bismarck Civic Center on April 6, 2011. Not only is this famed piano, singer/songwriter one of the best the music industry has ever heard, he is also British and we don't get too many real Europeans in North Dakota. Sure, we've got descendants of Norwegians, Germans, and the occasional Mennonite. But authentic, true-blooded, tea-and-crumpet- devouring Britains are a rare find here. The wunderbar of talent that is coming to Bismarck on April 6 is none other than Sir Elton John. Now, I'll admit that I'm not that big of an Elton John fanatic, so I will not be going to his show when he's here. Plus, I couldn't get time off of work. The reason why I'm giving him this shout-out is because my favorite Elton song of all-time (besides "Crocodile Rock") is "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues." Here it is:


Not too bluesy, but still not too bad. Come to think of it, does blues music always have to be a certain sound? Is it possible to consider any sad, depressing lyrics a part of blues music, as long as the artist has a few chips on their shoulder(s), a sparkle of sadness in their eyes, and a voice on the brink of either bursting into crying or erupting into anger? I would not classify Elton John as being a blues musician, but "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" could possibly be considered a blues song. Take a look at the lyrics (I got them from http://www.eltonography.com/):


"I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues"
Music by Elton John and Davey Johnstone
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin

Don't wish it away
Don't look at it like it's forever
Between you and me I could honestly say
That things can only get better
And while I'm away
Dust out the demons inside
And it won't be long before you and me run
To the place in our hearts where we hide
And I guess that's why they call it the blues
Time on my hands could be time spent with you
Laughing like children, living like lovers
Rolling like thunder under the covers
And I guess that's why they call it the blues
Just stare into space
Picture my face in your hands
Live for each second without hesitation
And never forget I'm your man
Wait on me girl
Cry in the night if it helps
But more than ever I simply love you
More than I love life itself
The lyrics are most likely referring to a relationship, unless there's some sort of subliminal political message alluding to the presidency of Ronald Reagan (Reagan's presidency lasted from 1982-1988; IGTWTCITB was released in 1983). I think it's fair to say that this song, as a whole, is not registered within the blues category of music. However, if the lyrics were sung in a blues style, I would definitely call it a blues song. I realize there are literally thousands of song lyrics that could be blues songs if they were just played in a blues fashion. Think of all the angst-filled lyrics of Marilyn Manson. He's about as far from blues (musically) from what I can tell. If you take a look at the lyrics from "Misery Machine," you'll understand. (http://www.metrolyrics.com/)

"Misery Machine"
By Donald Clapps, Brian Hugh Warner, Carl Cicchetti, Brad Stewart, and Scott Mitchell Putesky
Man in the front got a sinister gun
Careen down highway 666
We wanna go, crush the slow
As the pitchfork bends, the needles grow
My arms are wheels
My arms are wheels
My blood is pavement
...
I had to stop after those few lines. I cannot understand what any of it means, and I really don't want to know. I guess I was wrong. Not all lyrics can be blues. If "Misery Machine" was molded into a blues song, I'm not sure I would be able to go on listening to blues music quite the same way as before. I'm assuming Mr. Manson would probably agree. Blues music has a distinctive sound and anyone with a love for it would not want to change it. Elton John can stay true to his proper piano-pop roots; blues people can continue listening to blues music; and Marilyn Manson can stick with his shock rocker sounds and too-scary-for-Halloween ensemble. Blues music is called blues for a reason. It's about putting life's misery into a soulful sound. It's not about being violent and twisting your arm into a wheel, thus making your blood turn into pavement. I guess that's why they call it the blues. And I guess that's why they call Marilyn Manson a sick, pale-faced zombie.

Artist of the Week: Pinetop Perkins (1913-2011)
(image taken from http://www.montalvoarts.org/, 03.22.11)
Possibly one of the best blues musicians of all-time, Pinetop Perkins (1913-2011) was known for his piano-playing skills, as well as some of the greatest songs in blues/rock history. He was born in Mississippi, but spent time in Memphis and Chicago. He slowly got more and more involved with the blues music industry, at first by playing the guitar. When an injury forced him to quit playing guitar, he picked up the piano. Well, he did not actually pick up a piano. He hovered over it and played the keys. Anyway, he eventually got involved with the famed blues band, Muddy Waters, playing with them for over a decade. After he left Muddy Waters, he formed The Legendary Blues Band along with Willie "Big Eyes" Smith. Perkins never had an album to call his own until 1988, with the release of his solo debut After Hours. Fourteen albums later, he was awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005. At the most recent Grammy Awards, he picked up Best Traditional Blues Album for Joined at the Hip, which he recorded with Willie "Big Eyes" Smith. At age 97, he is currently the oldest Grammy winner of all-time. Sadly, he passed away on March 21, 2011 in Austin, Texas. He was the last of the Mississippi Delta blues musicians, but his legend will live on. And his heart will go on. I mean, if he was an organ donor, his heart could live on. I don't know who would benefit from a 97-year-old man's heart, but it's entirely possible that a life could be saved. Even if he donated his body to science, his heart could go on and on.


New Album of the Week: Dust Bowl by Joe Bonamassa
Released 03.22.11
Dust Bowl(image taken from http://www.amazon.com/, 03.22.11)
It would take a mass amount of cruel interrogation for me to say Joe Bonamassa is a terrible artist. Musically, he does no wrong. His latest release, Dust Bowl, is just as good as his other albums. It's something anyone can enjoy, save for the rap/hip-hop/celtic/electronica/mainstream pop fans. All the tracks on the album are excellent, but some standouts include "Slow Train," "Tennessee Plates," and "Heartbreaker." Even though he is frequently underrated, Dust Bowl is living proof that Bonamassa has not sold-out on his trademark blues roots. It's got a definite place on my list, and probably one of the best of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment